Thursday, July 29, 2010

Just a thought...



I spent July 5-17 in South Africa with the girls pictured above. It was a long trip. By the end, I was dreaming of my own bed, and trying to remember what it was like to be by myself. I felt so far removed from my life here. In the midst of late nights, teen drama, and emotional overload, I was reminded of an important lesson: recognize the divine nature and individual worth of each and every youth. It is easy to lose sight of this. Too often my interactions with youth are focused around what they didn't do, or should have done. Why didn't you enroll in school? Why didn't you meet with your probation officer? Why didn't you come to Court? Why can't you show more gratitude? While these are important tasks and goals to review with youth, I would suggest it is of greater importance to recognize their strengths and show them an increase of love. The beautiful women I interacted with on this trip are fragile, and have had tragic/horrific life experiences. Their lives have lacked the stability and outpouring of love we far too often take for granted. It is amazing how much influence an adult can have on a child. Something as simple as a compliment, would change their entire mood for the evening. I am not married and do not have children. I attend a single's ward, and rarely get to interact with youth in my stake. Although I interact with the youth on my caseload, I must abide by appropriate boundaries. With that said, I think it is important to seek out ways to influence children/youth for good. An insignificant amount of time spent with a child more than likely will yield immeasurable results; both for the child and the mentor. As my father often reminded me, "Where much is given, much is required."