Monday, April 27, 2009

Moving Forward



Many of my thoughts are with my grandpa Mickelsen today.  What great life he lived.  Grandpa knew every little fact about everything.  He knew his geography, his agriculture, his science, he was a great poet, he knew how to have fun, and most importantly he loved his family, and the Savior, Jesus Christ.  Growing up, grandma and grandpa would like to take the grand kids out to Chuck-a-rama!!  For those of you who enjoy buffets, you may just enjoy this smorgasbord of food.  Grandpa would always remind us to eat our vegetables first!   My grandpa and grandma did an excellent job of teaching their children and grandchildren how to serve.  One year for Thanksgiving, my extended family on the Mickelsen side decided to serve Thanksgiving Dinner at a soup kitchen in Salt Lake City, UT.  I remember my grandpa making friends with everyone there.  At one point he was over at the piano singing and laughing with the homeless individuals. We couldn't go anywhere, without grandpa stopping to talk with someone.  He loved people. 

Another great memory I shared with my grandpa was when I was a student at BYU.  My relationship with grandpa strengthened in those years I lived in Provo.  I would frequently go to their house for Sunday dinners.  Grandpa would quiz me on my geography, and I always felt a little sheepish when I didn't know the answers!  "You're a college student!" he would declare, teasing me a little.  

Grandpa continually reminded his grandchildren to, "Keep their nose clean", and "keep the family chain linked".  Grandpa, thank you for the legacy you lived, and the lessons you taught me.  I love you! 

3 comments:

Adi said...

What a sweet tribute Michele! Thanks for sharing.

Cara said...

We did have a great Grandpa. He was so cute. Kyle and I are heading to Utah tomorrow. When are you coming? I can't wait to catch up.

Lesley said...

I love grandpa. Great post Michele. It was fun to see you. Thanks again for spoiling my girls. Love you.