Saturday, March 22, 2008

March Madness Round 1



Thursday evening I attended my first ever March Madness basketball games. The Duke Blue Devils took on the Belmont Bruins, and what a game it was! Does anyone know where Belmont University is? I sure didn't. Belmont is a small liberal arts college in Nashville, TN. They were amazing! Almost amazing enough to beat the overrated blue devils. This was Belmont's third EVER invitation to the big dance. In the final minutes of the game, it was evident that they lacked experience. There were a couple of turnovers that resulted in a Duke win. I do think this game was a good wake up call for Duke. Although they are a school with strong basketball tradition, and come to the dance year after year, they really must play a lot better to live up to their number two seed. I am pretty sure the entire country was rooting for the Bruins, as history was almost made. Definitely a good game to be at!

Next, came the West Virginia Mountaineers vs the Arizona Wild Cats. My friend Kevin and I were the minority Wild Cat fans. This game didn't compare to the fast paced game of Duke and Belmont. Arizona could never pull ahead. It remained a six point game almost the entire game. It was DEFINITELY worth spending a little money to experience March Madness basketball. I was disappointed in my cougars performance against Texas A&M. Unfortunately, I wasn't too surprised. I think we have a decent team, if we could just gain some confidence and figure out how to FINISH a game. I really think we are a first half team.

LET ROUND TWO BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

How fun!! That's so awesome you got to go. You'll laugh, but I actually played in our Stake Relief Society basketball tournament for one game. Got a few fouls because I'm more used to water polo where you could put your hands all over the other person under the water as long as the refs didn't see. Oops. It made me jealous of your mad skills.

nerak said...

That's so fun that you got to go to those games! Esp the Duke game! JEALOUS. Let's chat soon, love.

Julie said...

That is so fun you got to go to a game! How is your bracket going? Mine is going alright. I picked a few upsets that worked out well, but I always pick too many upsets, what can I say, I love the underdog to win!

MishMyBelle said...

Kristen, I am so proud of you! I can totally see you as a baller! Did you borrow Matt's Laker get up for the game?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lesley said...

Lucky you! What a fun time! I am jealous as well! I can't wait to see you in like 3 weeks!!!!! WHOO-HOO!!! Parteeeee!!!