Sunday, May 10, 2009

Reasons Why I love My Mother

Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back to normal
after you've had a baby ... somebody doesn't know that once you're a
mother,"normal" is history.

Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by instinct ... somebody
never took a three-year-old shopping.

Somebody said being a mother is boring .. somebody never rode in a car driven by a teenager with a driver's permit.

Somebody said if you're a "good" mother, your child will "turn
out good"...somebody thinks a child comes with directions and a guarantee.

Somebody said "good"
mothers never raise their voices.
Somebody never came out the back door just in time to see her child hit a golf ball through the neighbor's kitchen window.

Somebody said you don't need an education to be a mother. Somebody
never helped a fourth grader with his math.

Somebody said you can't love the second child as much as you love the
first ... somebody doesn't have two children.

Somebody said a mother can find all the answers to her child-rearing
questions in the books.... somebody never had a child stuff beans
up his nose or in his ears.

Somebody said the hardest part of being a mother is labor and
delivery...somebody never watched her "baby" get on the bus for the
first day of kindergarten ... or on a plane headed for military "boot camp."

Somebody said a mother can do her job with her eyes closed and
one hand tied behind her back ...somebody never organized seven
giggling Brownies to sell cookies.

Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her child gets
married....somebody doesn't know that marriage adds a new son or
daughter-in-law to a mother's heartstrings.

Somebody said a mother's job is done when her last child leaves
home....somebody never had grandchildren.

Somebody said your mother knows you love her, so you don't need to tell her ... somebody isn't a mother.

What a beautiful day we have to honor and celebrate motherhood and the women in our lives who have had great influence on our testimonies and the road to becoming more like our Savior. When I think of my mother, I am overcome with emotion.  My mother truly is my best friend and the best example to me of living the gospel of Jesus Christ.  My mother testifies to her children that she loves the Savior and Book of Mormon. My mother calls me frequently to check-in and make sure I am doing okay.  My mother supports me in the decisions I make.  My mother often times puts others needs before her own. My mother loves people, and does what she can to lighten their load.  My mother is a woman of faith.  My mother loves to laugh, and make her children laugh.  My mother taught me correct principles.  My mother is beautiful.  My mother tells me often she loves me.  My mother makes others feel comfortable around her.  My mother is energetic, and optimistic about life.  My mother places her family first.  My mother's love comes nearer being like the love of God than any other kind of love. 

I love this statement made by the First Presidency issued years ago.  It really captures the importance and eternal nature of motherhood. “Motherhood,” they wrote, “is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.”  


Mom and I at graduation in NYC

Mom & I in Time Square
Mom & I over the holidays 2008
Lauren, Mom & I in DC 2009
Mom celebrating her 50th birthday
I LOVE YOU MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

smartchelsea said...

You're mom's HOT! And amazing!!Even though I only met her once she has to be great because she raised you to be so amazing too! Thanks again for yesterday it was very needed!!

Lesley said...

Yeah for mommy!!! I love her!!!! Very nice tribute and very true! We do have the best mother out there! :) Love the pictures! Very cute!