Thursday, March 22, 2007

Am I going to die??

So I may have done something pretty stupid. Yesterday I registered to run in the NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix. Couple things you should know about me. I am NOT a runner. I love team sports, and ran track for a couple of years in high school (only the 400m & 800m). Long distance running has never been my specialty. But for some odd reason, Michele thinks she can sign up last minute and run 13.1 miles without dying. Am I nuts? Maybe so. There is some good coming from this however:

A. I am exercising a lot more than I have been.
B. My muscles are actually sore, the good pain that is.
C. I get a free t-shirt.
D. I get to run with the "cool" kids in my ward. ha, that is a joke.
E. I start in Coney Island and run along Ocean Parkway to finish in Prospect Park. Should be a beautiful run.
F. I get free lemon-lime Gatorade along the way.
G. Bragging rights (if I finish)

There you have it. Sometimes you just have to try things out and go for it. My goal is to finish the race...

10 comments:

MishMyBelle said...

BTW- any tips from seasoned runners would be much appreciated :)

D-dawg said...

I wish I had some tips... ask my sis-in-law Julie her blog is called mommyblog and she's on my link list. Good luck, I kindof want to do that myself some day.

Lesley said...

Sorry no tips here either! You can do it! I am very impressed that you are doing it! It will be great exercise and a good experience! I love that you get free lemon-lime gatorade on the run! :) How far did you run today?

Liz said...

michele, i think you are crazy, as I am the same as you. team sports are great but running is not very fun at all! Good luck, I'm excited to hear how it goes

nerak said...

oh dear, if you're going to die than I will die even worse. :) But we can do it. Can we plan a central park run on Monday before Snow Patrol? This going away for the weekend business is killing my exercise regimen. Love ya! Oh, and check out bubblebathnyc.com. You should go, wish I wasn't missing that one this weekend.

Meredith said...

way to go michele! this is so exciting. being a self-proclaimed runner, i do have some tips for you. i don't know when your race is, but i think the best advice for running a long race is to do a few long practice runs...mostly to get your mind around running so far for so long! try to run at least 10 miles at least once, and preferably at least 2 weeks before your race. shorter, regular runs get you in shape enough, and the long runs get you mentally as well as physically prepped (like your joints and such).

also, carb-load the few days before. it works and it's yummy! and don't be afraid to try those nasty looking edible gel things for runners (sometimes called 'gu' or 'goo'). they will give you lots of energy mid-race.

last, have fun! you will totally finish the race. and between the marathon and the half marathon, the half is WAY more fun!

MishMyBelle said...

Meredith- you are the best! Thanks for the tips!

angie said...

The free t-shirt and bragging rights are worth it! you can do it Michele!!

NatAttack said...

What!? I posted a comment on here but it must not have shown. Blast.

All I said was if I can do it, you're three times more qualified than I am.

Please don't tell me if it's hard, I'll probably go into cardiac arrest on the trail.

Lauren said...

you'll do awesome! i am so excited for you. when is it? if you love it enough, you should come and do the 1/2 in new hampshire on may 12. good luck!