Sunday, September 23, 2007

I can't handle this!

I love NYC. But honestly, one of the incentives to moving to DC was the cleanliness of the district. The metro is much nicer and well kept, AND I have not seen a single RAT since I've lived here. This makes me very happy.
Unfortunately DC, more specifically, MY HOUSE has issues with SPIDERS. I hate spiders. My bedroom is on the ground level. There is access to our small backyard from my bedroom, and it also is positioned near the garage door. This means BUGS! And the strangest bugs I have ever seen.

What is this little guy? He has millions of appendages and the body of a worm. This little bug can move as well. Not too long ago I had a friend over and we spotted this creature on my ceiling. We both were very grossed out and perplexed by the appearance of this creepy spider. Luckily I had a bottle of Raid Max roach/spider killer. It kills them immediately.
MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!

Does anyone have any solutions to spider problems? I need to do something ASAP to remedy this issue. HELP!

5 comments:

Lesley said...

DISGUSTING!!!! Are you kidding me? I am such a wimp when it comes to spider, bugs and rats! Way to be prepared and have that Raid Max on hand! SO sorry though that there are so many bugs and spiders!

kez said...

I think that is more of the millipede/centipede family...absolutely disgusting! I had to look away and seriously about got sick. Gross. As far as spider solutions?

A chemical free way to chase away, (not kill) spiders is to place Hedge Apples or pieces of Hedge Apples wherever you see spiders. Spiders hate these things. You can not find the Hedge Apples until late summer/early fall but that is when the spiders are at their worst.
There are plug-in devices that create a "barrier" in your walls and emit a high-pitched tone that bugs run from. They sell at Sam's Club for $20 for a package of 3; and they're probably at Wal-Mart too. I've also read somewhere that spiders had lemon pledge, so maybe dust everything with that?

I don't really know. Sorry! I hope you can get rid of them.

Sorry this is such a long comment

Meredith said...

that is so totally creepy!! when we lived in our first apartment in oregon we had tons of spiders, too. i don't have any solutions for you, but i did get good at killing spiders without even being scared!:) i also used the vacuum and the long extension piece to get the ones that were out of reach...no one likes being precariously perched on a chair or something and have that dang spider FALL on you while you try to kill it! that's like a recipe for serious injury!!!

Lisa said...

Yes, the bug sound things work well, they are a little annoying, but the sound might be worth getting rid of bugs. I feel so bad you stuck down stairs w/ all the bugs. I also have the name of that bug killer my friend recommends...we will win this war!!! Ewe...I just got shivers thinking of finding that in my room.......

angie said...

Michele- I think that creature is called a "silver fish" I could be wrong but we had things that looked like this in Chicago and that's what all the neighbors called them....they are invaders, and sick!