Saturday, April 14, 2007

We are the Champions!

The half marathon is over! Am I relieved? Yes. Was it as bad as I thought? No. Did I want to die at mile 11? Yes. Overall, it was a lot of fun. This was my first half marathon, and I definitely would run one again. I never have considered myself a runner...but I think I could enjoy another half marathon. I am not convinced, nor do I have the desire (yet) to run a marathon. I highly admire people that can go that far. I learned that running is very much a mind game. I am a pretty active individual, in semi-good shape. However, towards the end of the race I had to tell myself to keep going. The race ended on a hill in Prospect Park; I wasn't too happy about that. There were occasions when I was tempted to walk a bit, but was able to talk myself out of it. I also liked having a running partner; someone to talk with, and push me! I need to thank Bryndee for that! My favorite part of the race was when I approached mile 10, and a man was dressed up as superman giving everyone his "power" to finish the race. It put a smile on my face. I also appreciated all the people on the sideline cheering us on! I ended up running about a 9:40 mile pace throughout the race.

The night before a big group of us went to eat at Sambuca, a delicious Italian restaurant. I know you are probably only suppose to carb load the few days before the race, but I used it as my excuse the entire week before the race! What am I going to do now? I better sign up for another race.

Michele, Mel, and Bryndee
Didn't quite get enough to eat at Sambuca, so we headed to Magnolia's for dessert!

I was a HUGE fan of their banana creme pudding!

Our first Mag's experience!

Mel, Me & Karen getting pumped for the race
A little stretching before...
The Manhattan 8th Ward bunch! We did it!!

6 comments:

Lesley said...

WAY TO GO MICHELE!!!! That is great! Good time too! 9:40 miles!!! I bet that is fun to be able to say that you ran a half marathon! Very cute pictures! and that Magnolia's place looks mighty good too! It looked like a nice day for a run too! I can't wait to see you SOON!!!!!

Lesley said...

p.s. I love the fact that you used the carb load excuse the whole week! PERFECT!!!

angie said...

I'm sooo proud of you Michele!!! That is AWESOME!!!

D-dawg said...

way to go Michelle! Seriously I think it sounds so hard to run that far so you should be so proud of yourself!

Meredith said...

michele...great job! i am so proud of you, as i am of all 'non runners' who run:) you got a sweet time too, and that fact that you already want to run another one is a very good sign! i'm still not ready to run another marathon, and it's been years:) ps: i love the carb load.

grandma said...

wow!!! good job!! I am proud of you that you didn't stop or quit. Isn't that a lesson in life?