Monday, May 21, 2007

And...I'm back!

Wow. Has it been a crazy last week or what?! Last week my parents came to NYC for graduation. Mel and I graduated Wednesday, May 16th. Whooo!! Done with Columbia, and done with spending way too much money in the city. Relief. I had a good time showing my parents around the city. We went and saw two broadway shows: Frost/Nixon and Les Miserables. Frost/Nixon is a re-enactment of the interviews that took place with Robert Frost and President Nixon. I actually really enjoyed it and need to check out those videos and watch the real interviews. "Lez Miz" as they are calling it, was wonderful. It has such an uplifting, inspiring message, and of course the music is amazing. After graduation, we loaded up my stuff in a rental van and headed for DC. I am actually living in Alexandria, VA about 15 miles out of the district. I love my new townhouse! It is nice and spacious compared to the box I lived in, in NYC. Everything is brand new, and I am loving it. I made my first big purchase, a Honda Civic!! I am all grown up now. It was actually kind of stressful. Am I allowed to admit, I may have shed a few tears at the dealership!? Money can be stressful, especially when you don't have a job and income flowing in. Anyway, I felt good about my decision, and love my new black Honda civic! It is wonderful to be driving again, and not having to sight rats in the subways! I wish I could post pictures of my new place and car...but unfortunately I have misplaced my camera...a little nervous about that! Hopefully it will turn up soon, and I can share pics of graduation, and my new life in Virginia.

I spent my first night in my new place sleeping on the ground! My bed was supposed to be delivered that night, but they never came. Luckily I got it the next day, and slept wonderful last night. I went to my new ward for the first time yesterday. I actually new a handful of people from past BYU wards and my ward in SLC. That was kind of a fun surprise. Sometimes it is really annoying to have to start over meeting people. It is such a time investment. You feel that you should attend every social opportunity just to get your face out there, when really you don't want to go. Then you have to endure superficial conversations and repeatedly tell your story (where you're from, what you're doing, blah blah blah). I guess that sounded a little negative, huh?! Really, I am excited to be here and meet new people. It is a nice break to interact with people who really know who you are...so friends and family expect a phone call from me!

Okay this is getting kind of long and boring....but one more thing. Can the Jazz PLEASE win on Tuesday night?! I cannot handle them playing as poorly as they did on Sunday. Get your heads into the game Jazz! Alright, enough from me! Wish me luck in the job hunt, and hopefully I can share some pictures soon!! Miss you all.

12 comments:

MishMyBelle said...

please excuse the grammatical errors...replace knew instead of new.

Joseph said...

Welcome back to DC. I'm going to the beach this weekend, but I'll be calling you to do something soon.

Joseph said...

Whether you want it or not.

MishMyBelle said...

Oh, I want it :)

Lesley said...

I hope you find your camera quickly! I am dying to see pictures! How are you liking DC? How are you liking the Civic? Yeah, I agree, the Jazz need to get their heads in the game and win this next one!

nerak said...

NY misses Michele!

angie said...

Michele! Congrats on graduating and your new car!!! Are you rooming with anyone you know? I am excited to here about all of your adventures!

Lesley said...

have you found your camera yet? I am dying for pics!

Janelle said...

Michele,
Congratulation on graduating! And congrats on your new move, your new car (and first big purchase--that's a big deal!), and new apartment and ward. How exciting! I, too, am very anxious for you to find your camera--I love pictures!
Love,
Janelle

D-dawg said...

Michele, I think you made a great choice in a car! Even though it was stressful, and I want to see a picture. Also, I know exactly what you mean about meeting new people, getting situated in a place etc. It is hard and time consuming and tiring! And it takes awhile until you feel really comfortable. Good luck with that. I'm so glad you love your new townhouse though! Can't wait to see pics and of course of graduation too. How exciting. Congrats!

Meredith said...

just wanted to celebrate the's jazz's recent awesome victory with you! go jazz!

Lynnie said...

I'm moving to the District in July. Let's catch up there! Team 21 eastern contingent unite! I'll get you my contact info when I'm there. I'm also in the job market. Grrrrr. Somethings just get older with age I guess. See ya soon!