Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A Grateful Heart


Tomorrow we celebrate the independence of our country. The fourth of July is one of my absolute favorite holidays. On Sunday at church we sang the Star-Spangled Banner. I was overcome with emotion as we sang the last verse:

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust!”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

My thoughts were with the many serviceman serving our country abroad. I am so grateful for the men and women serving, protecting our country and fighting for freedom and peace. Both of my grandfather's served in World War II. I have personal copies of their histories, and journals from when they served in the war. I am grateful for their sacrifice and service. I am grateful for our founding father's. They truly were men of God, and were inspired men who acted upon the Spirit. Tomorrow may we honor those who've gone before, and those who continue serving our country.


"A morsel of genuine history is a thing so rare as to be always valuable."
Thomas Jefferson, September 8, 1817

6 comments:

Lesley said...

I love your post. I too love the 4th of July and that verse of the Star Spangled Banner is beautiful. We have so much to be thankful for!!!

D-dawg said...

I'm so glad to hear someone else cries during hymns. I can barely get through them! I love this holiday too. Have a good day!

maWeesa said...

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! I'M SURE YOU'RE HAVING AN AMAZING TIME.. REMEMBER OUR 4TH IN DC? THAT WAS A GOOD GOOD DAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO.. LOOKS LIKE YOU GIRLS HAD A LOT OF FUN.. I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE... CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU IN A FEW SHORT WEEKS.. I'M GOING TO HAVE MAKE THE LONG TREK BACK TO DC! MISS YOU HONEY PIE

NatAttack said...

I appreciate your sentiments Mich--lovely.

grandma said...

Michele, I am proud that you feel patriotic!! You have a good heart when music gets to you. I got a letter from Dustin and I remembered when we were at the MTC singing "Called To Serve" with all those young missionaries. I still cry when I hear it.

Janelle said...

Amen to all you've said. God bless America!
Love,
Janelle