Sunday, June 24, 2007

It's Not Easy Choosing Themes

My roommates and I got a good laugh from an article written in Sunday's Washington Post. As you may know, Hillary Clinton has chosen a Celion Dion song for her official presidential campaign song. I thought I would highlight some of the theme songs Joe Heim (editor in The Post's Sunday Source section) chose for the rest of the 2008 candidates.

Rudy Giuliani: "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turing)," Alan Jackson.
Why: Because remember where I was? I was the mayor? Of New York? On 9/11? Have I mentioned that?!

John Edwards: "Benefit of the Doubt," Haircut 100.
Why: The $400 haircut issue still dogs you. This song, by this band, may finally get folks off your back.

Fred Thompson: "I'm Too Sexy," Right Said Fred
Why: Okay, you haven't announced yet. But you will, right? I mean, we're waiting...Fred?

Al Gore: "(It' Not Easy) Bein' Green," Kermit the Frog
Why: Is global warming cool enough to get you into the White House? This song could make people feel sorry enough for you to vote for you.

Mike Gravel: "Who Are You?" The Who
Why: Do we really have to spell it out?

Mitt Romney: "Hatchet, " Low
Why: This song by this critically acclaimed Mormon indie-rock band may be just the inspiration your campaign needs to reach out to blue-state America.

Barack Obama: "The Roof Is On Fire", Rock Master Scott & the Dynamic Three
Why: No, we didn't choose this because of the recent fire in your attic. Oh, all right, we did. But it's also a great rabble-rousing tune.

John McCain: "Straight Talk," Dolly Parton
Why: Your campaign needs a little mantra refresher.

Michael Bloomberg: "Moneytalks," AC/DC
Why: This will remind people why you've been able to abandon both the Democratic and Republican Parties.

I thought these were kind of funny. Although, I can't say I've heard of Low, the Mormon indie-rock band.

1 comment:

D-dawg said...

I haven't heard of the mormon band either but some of those were great. I thought it was weird when I heard Hilary picking a theme song. She's trying too hard I think.